Monash University is the largest university in Australia, ranked in the world’s top 100 and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight. We're named after Sir John Monash, and fuelled by his desire for our students to leave here with a greater sense of purpose, and the skills and confidence to create positive change.
In under 60 years, we’ve grown from a single campus into an education and research powerhouse with a presence on four continents, committed to the challenges of the age.
Our work is making an impact all over the world, from bringing clean water to villages in Africa to creating new life-saving medicines.
A truly international experience
With four Australian campuses, one in Malaysia, and over 100 international partners, we’re making a difference on a global scale. You’ll have access to more research collaborations, more global partnerships, and a greater choice of overseas opportunities.
A desire to make a difference
We’re active in over 150 fields of research and work closely with government and industry. Many of our ideas – such as a new Malaria vaccine and 3D-printed engines – have been commercialised and are making a difference to the world we live in every day.
Home to various precincts of innovation, we foster collaboration across traditional and unexpected disciplines. We build teams and form links, we bring together diverse minds – researchers, companies, businesses and technology – creating knowledge hubs of the future.
You’ll find one of the largest ranges of courses in Australia, including more than 140 innovative double degree options, bachelor, master and PhD degrees.
Our largest campus is in Melbourne’s south-east in Clayton , with a network of campuses and teaching locations around the world to support our diverse work.
- Monash University, Malaysia campus (Malaysia)
- The Southeast University-Monash University, Joint Graduate School (China)
- The IITB Monash Research Academy (India)
- Monash University Prato Centre (Italy)
- Monash-Warwick Global Alliance (UK)
- Our rankings
- We’re in the world’s top 100 universities (74th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016-2017)
- 5 stars for staff qualifications and student retention (The Good Universities Guide 2017)
- No. 1 in Australia for Engineering and Technology (Times Higher Education Rankings by Subject 2016)
- Top 50 in the world for many disciplines including immunology, material science, pharmacology, social science and public health (USNWR Rankings by Subject 2016)
- Voted No. 1 in Australia for graduate employability by local recruiters (Times Higher Education 2016-2017)
Monash research is making a genuine difference to people’s lives, both locally and internationally. Some of our projects include:
- Oxytocin inhaler
- Eliminate dengue
- Urban slum revitalisation
- The bionic eye
- Additive manufacturing of jet engines
- Water-sensitive cities
- 3D-printed body parts
Discover more about Monash University